Waste not, want not.
As I started to clean up to prepare for the Breton Tee, I realized I had quite a bit of the Nani Iro fabric leftover. J&V was kind enough to have donated 5 yards for my Robe Cardigan. With just under a yard left (I had messed up those sleeves that ate up almost another yard), I tried to figure out what I could do with about 34".
A cowl! How creative of me, huh? Huh? Um, not really. But it would be fast to whip up in this gorgeous fabric. And I'll have a coordinating piece for the cardigan! Um, not really. I would never wear those all together and look like Crazy Nani Iro Fangirl... even though I am.
First, I laid out the fabric flat, and cut up exactly in the middle parallel to the selvedges.
Then, I serged the short edges together, right sides together.
Next, I folded the fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together. Lining up the just serged seam together, I serged the long edge together.
I pulled it inside out so the right side was out. If you just wanted a scarf, you could simply finish off the edges and be done. But since the length was a little short to be a scarf, I tried to figure out the best way to close it up.
With the right side out, I folded the piece in half, lining up the long seam. This is hard to explain, but with the long seam lined up, the right sides are together, and you can slip the edge under the serger with the wrong sides facing out. It was almost like inserting a sleeve into am armhole. I serged around and stopped when I couldn't serge anymore, which was about 4" away from the start.
I flipped it around, and all that was left to do was slip stitch the opening closed.
Voila! A knit cowl in about 15 minutes.
There she is.
Crazy Nani Iro Fangirl. I've got my halloween costume all sorted out. Awesome.